Vitamins are organic compounds which are essentials for healthy growth and development of living being, and it’s for proper functioning. These vitamins are of different types and available in various forms.
Vitamin C is one of type of vitamin which helps human body tissues to repair and develop, an efficient antioxidant that can help in boosting blood antioxidant levels and reduce the chronic disease risks.
There are many benefits of vitamins namely
- Helps in formation of collagens.
- Prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Improve immune system.
- Promotes wound healing and healthy blood vessels.
- Prevent and treat the common cold.
- Helps in treating cancer.
- Helps in absorption of iron.
- Treat nephritis.
- Maintain cartilage.
- Reduce high cholesterol levels.
- Maintain healthy skin and healthy eyes
Vitamin C packs with numerous advantages on the human body and helps to keep the body healthy. There are many natural and artificial sources for these vitamin C. some of the natural sources are
- Kakadu plum consists of high vitamin C up to 7000mg in 100gm.
- Guava of medium size contains 165mg.
- Green chilli of 100g contains 242.5mg of it.
- Kiwi of medium size consists 70gm of vitamin C.
- A rosehip of 100g contains 426mg of vitamin C.
- Cauliflower contains 48.2mg for 100g.
- One medium-sized mango has 30mg of vitamin C
- Papaya of medium size contains 95mg.
- In 100 grams of Orange, 53.2mg of vitamin C.
- Lemon of 100g contains 5mg of vitamin C
- 1gm vitamin C in 100 g of Thyme
- Boil Broccoli of one cup consist 74mg of C vitamin.
- 120mg in 100g of Kale.
- Parsley of 100g consists 133mg of it.
- 8mg in 100g of Strawberry.
- 100g of amla have up to 600mg of vitamin C.
Besides these, many natural sources for vitamin C do exist. Also there are synthetic sources in the form of supplements, tablets and solutions are available in the market.
The intake of vitamin C changes. Recommended dietary allowance (RDA) suggested as follow for better results
- Children need 15-75mg per day.
- An adult woman needs 75mg per day.
- An adult man needs 90mg per day.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women need 85-120mg per day
Thus intake of vitamin C changes with age and gender. And also, the absorption of vitamin C transforms for sick people. One can get the benefits of this vitamin C if only taken daily as per required basis.
Side effects of vitamin C
Usually, vitamin C cannot be stored in the human body and has to intake daily. But there are some effects on the human body if vitamin C is taken in too much (in megadoses) such as
- Abdominal cramps
- Stomach pain
Nowadays, immunity is essential for everyone so that no one can get sick or suffer from any illness. Vitamin C can prevent many diseases, so it is advisable to take vitamin c daily to keep the body in healthily state. But there is a limit for intake of this vitamin C. If one takes vitamin C too much like in megadoses might suffer from its side effects.